We might have seen this type of image in different site. But never tried to understand why it is used for. Do you know RSS can make your life 50% easier then previous. Yes this image is used in all and every site to indicate RSS as every one can understand it easily.
What and Why RSS?
You might read some specific site for important post or updates. It might be a news site or a sport site you have to visit regularly. There may be some blog site to read the post and other 10 more site to see just update only. You do not want visit the site as it less important. In this type of cases you are spending a lot of valuable time to get update daily.
But if there is a system where you can read all of your updates by software! You can get the updates and headline through this software. If and headline is important then you can visit the site instantly and can read your topics. Yes this is possible by RSS ( Really Simple Syndication ) feed.
How to do it?
Already go the idea why and what RSS is. Now i would like to discuss how to arrange an RSS feed for your self. Firstly any RSS link is called feed. By using this links which site or software rescue the information is called feed reader or RSS reader. Free web based RSS readers are available to read the feed. Firstly i would like to mention the name of google reader. Personally i also use this reader and get updates from around 30 sites. Address of google reader is http://www.google.com/reader or http://reader.google.com.
To use this service you need to have a gmail account. Here you can add links to subscribe the feeds. Just after subscribing the feed you will see that it is showing the updates garbing from the site. Recently many social networking site giving this opportunity to read feed through their site. Like http://www.orkut.com or http://www.facebook.com. Now you can search on Google and get many other online feed reader to use.
This portion is for wordpress users, if you have a wordpress blog you can show the headlines or update of another site to your blog. Just search on wordpress.org for rss pluging. Using this you can use this as a wideget in your blog.
Pros of RSS:
- If you are subscribed through Yahoo or Google mail then it it can span you Emil continuously. To protect yourself from spamming you can use RSS feed.
- Everyday you have to visit a huge amount of site which takes time. you can save your time by using rss feed.
- If it is the news site then you can get latest updated news through RSS without browsing the site.
- You can send your product information or site information through it.
- You can use it as the media of advertisement.
Cons of RSS:
- Mail update might be your choice.
- Many site doesn’t support RSS.
- Visitor only reads the RSS, they never visit the site. This can less your site visitors.
- If the full topic is supplied through rss then it can make a load on your server.