While designing a website, a designer should consider certain “do’s” and “don’ts”. The web design tips in this article will show you some of the most important do’s and don’ts that web designers; particularly less experienced web designers should take care of. If you are a web designer who is going after making his/her first website then the web design tips here can greatly help. These tips are very simple, easy to understand and follow. Following these web design tips will improve the chances of coming up with a web design that can last longer. We’ll start with the do’s.
The Do’s for Web Designers
- One very useful web design tip or a do for web designer is to make use of white background instead of other coloured background because it gives a professional and modern look to your website.
- Another useful web design tip is to use the same logo and navigation links on all the web pages; it gives consistency to your website. Otherwise the user may feel that he may not be on the same website. This also applies to the font that is used for the web contents. Always make use of the same font throughout the website.
- The animation should be as minimal as possible. This is because animation may require more time to load which may result in user switching to any other website. Remember, if a page doesn’t load in 5 seconds approximately, the user may switch to any other website.
- Another do or web design tip is to make your website compatible with popular browsers like Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Opera, Safari etc. Using more applets or DHTML may result in restricting the compatibility with some browsers only.
- Another very useful web design tip is to have a version or a second website for those users who are still using older browsers. Moreover, a mobile version can be a big plus since most people today use their mobile / hand-held devices to browse internet while they are on the move.
- A technically sound web design tip here is that you should use width and height tags for all your images. This helps in loading the page faster and it also helps in having better search engine results.
- Make sure that you add a home-page button on every page so whenever the user wants to navigate to the home page, he/she doesn’t have to press back button again and again.
- Another useful web design tip is called as three click theory. This means that you should design your website in a way that any section of your website should not be more than 3 clicks away.
So far we discussed the Do’s of web designing. Here we’ll be putting some light over the don’ts that new web designers should take care of.
- Never use multi-coloured backgrounds unless you are into the creative art domain. Never use dark background; it doesn’t help in attracting the visitors.
- The text colour should not give eye-strain to the reader. For instance, a light text of a dark background can really give some unpleasant strain to the visitor.
- Another useful web design tip is not to use animation as it may result the web page to load slowly.
- Never add several pop-up ads for a single web-page. It can really irritate the visitor and it may result in driving the visitor away from the website.
- It is never a good idea to put music on a website unless the user can turn it off.
- Do not paste high resolution photos/images on the web page. Instead create thumbnails that the user can click to enlarge image.
- Never align all the text as centered; it never looks attractive.
These were some of the very useful web design tips in the form of do’s and don’ts that the new web designers should keep in mind so that every website you come up with is better than the previous one.