Making a website is not that difficult; however knowing how to structure your website content can be a bit challenging. If you are a new web coder / developer, then do go through the web coding tips in this article that can really help you in building very well-organized websites. The tips are divided into various sections including the Do’s and the Don’ts, ideal directory structure for a website and methods of using path-names.
The Do’s and Don’ts:
For new web coders, here are some useful web coding tips in the form of some do’s and don’ts while doing web coding. We’ll begin with some important do’s:
- Always make the layout very simple and concise.
- Make use of descriptive links
- For the purpose of having quick menu scanning, make use of link menus
- Group the information semantically
- Give consideration to background colors and text colors. It should not give eye-strain to the visitors.
- Always provide a link to the homepage despite of where the visitor is in on your website.
- Make sure that all the main pages are only 3 clicks away from the user.
- Give considerable attention to the contents of the page.
Here are some of the Don’ts that the web coders/ designers should watch-out for:
- Never use heading tags in the html only for emphasis.
- Never give links to any material that may not be necessarily relevant to the contents of your website.
- Always make sure that you site is compatible with the major browser such as Internet Explorer and Firefox. You may never know what browser is used by your visitor.
- Try to limit the number of images in a single page to 10 or less.
- Don’t give more than one links to the same site on a single page.
So far, we have discussed some do’s and don’ts to offer some essential web coding tips; particularly for beginners. Now we’ll have a look at some other web coding tips; the recommended directory structures that emphasizes on the structuring of the directories to reflect the structure of the website. Here is the explanation:
Recommended Website Structure:
As mentioned before, it is very essential to have a better directory structure that reflects the overall structure of the website. One useful web coding tip here is to imagine how you’ll put the layout for your table of contents if you were to print out your pages.