Social media is an easy and effective way for you to brand and market yourself without hiring a marketing agency. If done right, you can build up your business and convert followers into customers. Here are some tips for using social media to successfully promote your brand.
1: Strategize Your Approach
With a photo here and a tweet there, social media posts are often contributed without any thought put into a strategy to build up a business. To reflect your brand, you should plan your approach before even creating any social media accounts. Do this by:
- Knowing your audience Before going all-out with every social media site out there, find out who your audience is and where they mostly congregate on the web. If most of them are only on Facebook, you should focus on Facebook. You should also have an understanding of what your audience wants from your business so you can post relevant content.
- Knowing your voice Everything you say on the web should be consistent. Followers should be able to recognize the tone of your brand, whether it’s on Twitter, your website or blog. This solidifies your image.
- Timing your contributions As part of your content strategy, you should have a calendar of what you’ll be posting, and when. Take into account the time of year and what customers will be interested in.
Social media goes both ways: posting and reading content. Whether or not you have a social media presence yet, customers are talking about your business on the internet. Find out what people are saying so that your content stays relevant and you can engage with followers by answering questions and receiving feedback.
3: 90/10 Rule
When posting, remember the rule of thumb to create 90% of your content for non-commercial use, and the last 10% can be promotional information. People like to receive help and information without any strings attached, so when they’re interested enough they will answer your call-to-action and contact you.
4: Tips for Different Sites
- Facebook If you choose to use Facebook to promote your business, it’s important to include photos and post status updates. Remember to keep everything consistent with your brand. Despite what you may assume, more updates are better; too few will make followers bored and they might even forget about you. Make your posts interesting and useful.
- Twitter The same goes for tweets. Post frequently, and stay consistent and fun.
- Pinterest A visual sharing site, this is where you can showcase your products. Always remember to use quality images and effective keyword descriptions.
- YouTube Customize your channel to reflect your brand, subtitle your videos, and make frequent and regular video posts.
If you choose to use a combination of these media, use consistent profile images, usernames, and messages to connect them to each other, and always point followers to your website or blog. You now have tips to prepare for your social media presence. Once you get started, follow this in-depth social media guide to market yourself successfully.