Our positions are fully remote and to ensure compliance with all applicable labor laws, are open to U.S.-based applicants only. Not hiring in Washington state, Oregon state, San Francisco, or New York.
As a Product Manager at CROmetrics, you will be a hybrid product manager, strategic thinker, account manager and data analyst. Your primary role is to partner with our clients to improve their websites through data-driven experimentation and personalization. A Product Manager spends much of their time interfacing with clients, designers and engineers. On the client side, the PM must be able to generate data-driven ideas that will improve revenue and other key metrics on client websites.
As a PM, you will be leading all A/B testing and personalization experimentation for the client, which includes the following:
Partnering with the client for the ideation, prioritization, road-mapping, design, and approval process for all hypotheses generation and experimentation
Diving deep into the results to deliver the data story, learnings and recommendations from the experiment
Collaborating with a remote team of engineers, designers and other PMs to support experiment ideation and execution
- Managing all aspects of the client relationship from daily experiment monitoring to kicking off the renewal process to evangelizing the value of CROmetrics
In addition, as a CROmetrics team member, you will:
- Support the professional growth of the team through leading and/or participating in ongoing training, e.g. book club
Engage in non-client related activities that help grow our business, e.g. writing the PM job description or delivering hypotheses and mock-ups for a sales deck
- Actively participate in our remote culture
Who we’re looking for
Our most successful candidates have the following skills/experience/traits:
- 5+ years of professional experience working in digital product management, user experience design or similar roles on consumer-facing web products
Demonstrated extremely strong presentation and communication skills
Built and delivered product roadmaps full of winning and losing ideas
Passion for using data to improve user experiences
Hands-on experience analyzing digital business data to inform decisions and plan strategically
Worked cross-functionally in a highly collaborative environment, preferably in a remote capacity
Genuinely like working with clients and their distributed stakeholder groups
Love product strategy, but obsessed with the details on execution
- Lifelong learner
If you have questions as you go through this, make notes and if we haven’t answered them by the end, feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
- We’re a remote company. We are spread out all over the country and enjoy the flexibility remote working affords. Want to go on a mountain bike ride in the middle of the day? Cool, don’t forget your helmet! Need to pick the kids up from school? Nice, you’ve got parent of the year in the bag. We stay connected through Slack and workcations, including one annual trip that is funded by the company.
Our engineers value elegant code, but move fast. We’re writing code that runs on top of existing websites. Some tests only run for a few days before disappearing (though some do so well they become a permanent part of the client’s site). If “minimum viable product” isn’t in your lexicon, you aren’t a good fit.
Communication is critical. We’re a remote company. That makes communication — including writing and reading comprehension — extremely important. You’ll work closely with engineers, designers and writers. This is not a simple “write specs and close tickets” gig. Successful applicants enjoy the process of defining and clarifying specs, documenting processes, improving processes, seeing their ideas and work affect millions of users, and uploading custom emoji to Slack.
- We’re relentlessly focused on our client’s happiness. The PM is a client-facing role. Managing a client relationship virtually takes a different type of skill set – the PMs have to be both a strategic partner, the customer (represented by the data), teacher and project manager over the phone/email/Slack, all while delivering an exceptional level of service. This type of interaction is not for everyone, and we completely understand. It’s not easy!
- We are not perfect. A the core of experimentation is the lesson to be learned from the test, whether a win, loss or inconclusive. We extend this concept to everything we do by setting the bar high for our team and fostering an environment of radical candor and constant learning.
This short essay sums up the philosophy we operate by: This is Professionalism (http://arches.io/2014/03/this-is-professionalism/). Sound like something you are interested in? Read on.
A unique application and hiring process, just like us
We’re glad you’re interested in working with us. We have a fairly unusual hiring process, but it has proven to work well both for us and for potential new hires. We have found that demonstrating basic competency is the best predictor of initial qualification for working with us, followed by actual work.
Our process reflects that. We’ve outlined our values and how we work above, and now we will ask you to complete a couple small tasks to show us you’re interested.
Create A Work Sample
The following is a typical task you would be doing on a daily basis. Follow the steps below to see if this type of work interests you and is a good fit. Please do not spend more than an hour on this task, as it is intended for you to be able to demonstrate basic competency in the core part of the job you will be doing.
We want to know how you think about designing elegant product solutions focused around increasing conversions.
Here is the website for one of our past clients: Hired.com. Hired spends a lot of money (e.g. through paid ads) to drive applicants, primarily software engineers, to their site. Their goal is to increase the number of leads/applicants that complete the signup flow and are ready to be hired.
- Your first task is to come up with a hypothesis backlog of at least 6-8 ideas you have for improving conversions for the Hired.com. An example of a hypothesis is: “Adding a video to the Hired website will help job candidates understand how Hired works and therefore, increase conversions.”
- Once you’ve developed your hypothesis backlog, choose one of the ideas that you believe is most likely to increase leads.
- Write a spec for your chosen idea comprised of the user story, any supporting data, expected user or page interactions, engineering notes, etc. Optionally, you may also produce a wireframe and/or a visual to go along with your spec, using any number of UX tools such as Axure, Balsamiq, Invision or even simple pen/paper sketching. Just be sure to submit your spec as an image so anyone can view it without special software.
In a real-life client situation, you will work with the client to create a testing roadmap supported by data that aligns with the client’s KPI’s. You’ll then write a spec for the experiments, and will work with engineering to implement and QA the experiment. Once the test is implemented, you’ll run an A/B test, share the results with the client, draw insights from the test, and develop new ideas for testing.
Apply for this job