Database Engineering at Harvest
As our principal database expert, we will be looking to you to guide our efforts in all areas of database design, performance, and reliability. You’ll champion performance, and encourage best practices, on all database projects across multiple teams. We rely heavily on MySQL to store our data, but we also use Elasticsearch, Redis, and Memcache currently.
Collaborating with product developers, and operations team members, you’ll be working to make sure our database infrastructure performs reliably. This typically includes translating application requirements to schema, examining indexes, query analysis, deploying clustering tools, designing backup solutions, investigating caching issues, and more.
Operations at Harvest
The Harvest Systems Operations Team is currently four people and we have two open positions. We have the task of keeping all of our applications running smoothly. We have wide ranging responsibilities, and lots of leeway to have fun in the process. On our team we prefer to self-select which projects we work on, choosing what interests you the most.
Why are we hiring at this time? Good question! This is an exciting time on the infrastructure front: we are designing new production systems in various cloud services, and someone with experience in designing cloud database infrastructure will have a lot of fun at this particular stage we are at.
The Ops Team has a weekly on-call rotation, and we are mindful of the overhead of being on-call. The week following your on-call shift you are free to take a day off of work to make up for the overhead of being on-call. That is a theme on our team: Protecting your free time.
We welcome applicants from anywhere in the world for this role. Did we mention a sense of humor yet? It’s important, we like to have fun while we work.
Who You Are
If you know the following stuff, you’ve likely been doing the type of things we are looking for help with:
- Managing MySQL infrastructure which is processing tens of thousands of queries per second
- Collaborating with developers to design great data models and schemas
- Troubleshooting, and performance tuning complex SQL queries
- Devising methods for schema changes to large, busy databases
- Working with ORM libraries (eg: ActiveRecord) to understand application database needs
- Implementing caching strategies
- Deploying tools like Orchestrator for high availability
- Devising monitoring tools for database infrastructure
- Understanding Cloud infrastructure
When You Apply
- Tell us a bit about yourself, your hobbies and interests, and why you’d make a great Harvest Team Member.
- You’re awesome and can work anywhere… why Harvest?
- If you include some thoughts of MySQL vs. PostgreSQL in your cover letter, we’ll know you are a candidate we should pay extra attention to.
Apply for this job