The ideal engineer for this position loves building RESTful APIs and other web services at scale. You relish the opportunity to take on a challenging problem, choose the right tool for the job and build an elegant, scalable solution. Your work as an experienced Java engineer will empower over 8,000 businesses around the world to provide great customer service, and will support the other senior engineers on your team.
We leverage Solr for several tools at Help Scout and are looking for someone that can improve and maintain our implementation as we grow.
Tools We Use
- Apache Solr, Java, Spring, Play, MySQL, AWS, Hibernate
- Slack, Trello, Github, Sentry, Postman Pro, Jenkins
About the Role
- You will join our two-person search team in owning the enhancement of the data quality and data processing on our large-scale search platform. On a daily basis, you’ll work on improving existing code, adding new functionality and API endpoints all with a focus on testing and documentation.
- We are constantly improving our search and reporting capabilities and you will work on new challenging projects such as streamlining the Reports infrastructure, improving search relevancy and solving large scale data problems.
- Our engineering team is currently thirty people, just over half the company. As part of our eight-person Java team you will be involved in the decisions made regarding implementation, testing, and backlog prioritization.
- We work in two-week iterations, communicate mostly via Slack and are committed to remote, agile development. When you are ready, you’ll create and send a pull request with tests and tag your team for review – using video and screen-sharing as needed. Your development builds can be easily tested on environments that closely match production. You’ll work autonomously for the most part and we trust you to get work done when/where you can be productive.
- Your team performs engineering support when a question can’t be answered by our in-house support team and passes triage. We’ll get you up-to-speed with engineering support so you can help our customers and improve the product along the way.
- Everything is secondary to the customer experience. We expect you to have a keen sense of how your code will impact the experience in terms of performance, security and usability.
- You’ll be working with product people that challenge you to get better every day. The founders are technical and committed to creating a magical experience for customers. You’ll deploy work that moves the needle for businesses around the world.
- You became an engineer because you like writing software that helps people.
- You bring a level of Java-specific expertise that will help us craft an outstanding experience for customers and fellow developers.
- You are a skilled and passionate Java engineer who is friendly, collaborative, and supportive.
- You value personal growth and constructive feedback.
- You demonstrate an empathetic, organized and collaborative communication style with fellow engineers and non-engineering stakeholders.
- You will consider how your work impacts others, and demonstrate thoughtful, flexible approaches to mentoring and guiding technical decisions.
- Your code is not only a pleasure for customers to use, but for other engineers to read and understand easily.
Help Scout is made by roughly 60 people in 40+ cities around the world, all with a passion for excellence in their craft.
We come from diverse backgrounds and are united by an enthusiasm for great products and delightful customer experiences.
Since launching in April of 2011, Help Scout now powers 8,000+ support teams in over 140 countries. Our software is used and trusted by businesses of every shape and size.
Designed to go the distance
Our mission is to foster the world’s customer-centric businesses by providing tools that serve customers in the most human, helpful way. While growth is important, team and values are paramount. We’re always striving to do impactful work we’re proud of in lieu of chasing overnight success.
We’re builders without borders
Our entire team is free to work remotely from wherever they choose. We overcome remote challenges through transparency, trust, and video conferencing. The reward is worth the effort—we’ll take talent, skill, and diverse perspectives over local geography any day.
Above all, we want Help Scout to be a place where passionate people can do their very best work. You won’t find any ping-pong tables or kegerators here. Instead, you’ll be surrounded by driven, supportive teammates who will push you to be better. We take work/life harmony seriously, too, as we want every career at Help Scout to be a long and satisfying one.
Diversity & Inclusion
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- Competitive Salary – We pay at or above market salary in most cases and evaluate a lot of research to make sure everyone is paid well. The formula we use to calculate all salaries is public to employees and is improved upon regularly.
- Work anywhere – Provided you have 4 hours of overlap with the team. We’ll fly you to Boston for a week of new employee on-boarding and buy your home office furniture or help you pay for a co-working space.
- Health and dental insurance – We cover you and your family’s health/dental insurance 100%. If you are based in the US, we’ll cover you on our Aetna policy. If you’re based outside the US, you’ll receive a monthly stipend that goes towards covering medical insurance, long and short-term disability, and accountant costs.
- Long-term/Short-term Disability Insurance & Life Insurance – we cover 100% of the premiums for LT/ST Disability insurance and base Life Insurance. You also have the option to purchase supplementary life insurance through our provider. (currently US only)
- Flexible vacation – Take time off when you need it, we trust you.
- Paid parental leave, including adoption- 12 weeks if you have or adopt a baby, 4 weeks if your partner has a baby.
- 401k with 1% match- via Betterment for Business (currently US only)
- Personal Development stipend – Up to $1,800 per year to improve your craft
- Great tools – Each employee will be provided with a Mac laptop and 27” display (or equivalent equipment of choice). We’ll also purchase any additional software or hardware you need.
- Complete transparency – Everyone has full access to business metrics and financial information about the company.
Apply for this job